Dr Cecil George died in a fire at his home, Essex House, in Chinnor Road, Thame, on January 6th, 1974. The barking of his dog awoke Cecil’s daughter, Phyllis, who was asleep in a second floor bedroom. She went to quieten the dog and discovered the fire. Despite her attempts to rescue her father, his body was later recovered by firemen. One of the family’s dogs escaped but the other dog seemingly decided to stay with his master rather than escape. The faithfulness of the dog and his success in rousing the daughter are commemorated on the plaque which reads:
For Kim a faithful Airedale who died with his master in a fire 6-1-74 rather than escape but whose barking saved a human life and also that of his best friend, an Irish Terrier.